The Bored Ape Yacht Club hinted at another initiative earlier today without providing any specifics and once again sparked the curiosity of many. However, upon following the provided link, users were met with a KYC prompt, and many were less than happy.
- Earlier today, the official Twitter account of the Bored Ape Yacht Club posted a link carrying the domain somethingisbrewing.
- The team further explained that it’s something they’ve been working with Animoca Brands.
This has been building over the last seven months. Animoca Brands will launch the first phase, and there’s more to come. P.S. we don’t like KYCs either, but we think you’re going to want to be a part of this.
- Apparently, this has nothing to do with the play-to-earn game of BAYC and with their planned token launch.
- Users quickly discovered that the page requires them to connect their MetaMask wallets and submit a whole lot of personal information.
- Many of the community expressed concerns over the KYC prompt that wasn’t communicated prior to the post in any way.
- On the brighter side, there doesn’t seem to be a requirement for the connected MM wallet to contain any assets at all, so in theory, users can create an empty one and link it to their required IDs.
FYI, the BAYC announcement does *not* seem to require a wallet with an ape in it.
Anybody can register, they don’t require linking discord/twitter etc. Make a new wallet, submit your info, and you’re effectively doxxing yourself as having an ethereum wallet, but not any assets.
— quit (@0xQuit) March 10, 2022